,
Message sent from:

History

The Erith National School was founded in 1850 on a site near the gas works in West Street, Erith. A rival Catholic School, St Fidelis was opened next door and in 1867 the Capuchin Father Maurice who worked in Erith and initially celebrated Mass in a house  in Cross street, secured a plot where he built a church dedicated to St Fidelis School as well as a presbytery. In 1902 a larger plot was secured on he corner of Carlton Road  and Bexley Road where a Friary, then subsequently the church and the present St Fidelis School were established. Meanwhile, the Anglican Church could not support Erith National School adequately and in 1876 it was transferred to the newly established Erith School Board. In 1901 the old school was demolished and a new Central School was built opposite St John's Church with staff taken from Brook Street, Crescent Road and Northend Schools. Two years later Erith School Board was abolished and its duties were transferred to Erith Urban District Council, which became Erith Borough Council in 1938.
 

The school was divided into three departments for Boys, Girls and Infants, each with its own Head Teacher. In 1944 Erith ceased to be an Education Authority and the School now known as West Street County Primary School came under the jurisdiction of Kent County Council. In 1959 the boys and girls departments were merged to form a single Junior School. In 1973 the Infant School moved to a new site on Mitchell Close, Belvedere and was renamed Belvedere Infant School. In 1987 the Junior School moved to a new site next to Belvedere Infant School and changed its name to Belvedere Junior School.

In September 2019, Belvedere Infant School converted to the Pionner Academy. Belvedere Junior School has been part of the Pioneer Acadamy Trust since 2012 and Belvedere Infant Governors made the decision to also join the Pioneer family of 10 schools covering Bexley, Croydon and Kent.

 

X
Hit enter to search